Sunday, October 17, 2010

Joshua Trees


Matthew and I visited Joshua Tree National Park this summer. I found myself attributing personalities and all sorts of other qualities to each unique specimen. It's an amazing place full of artistry by the Master. I know they're just trees but well, I was thinking, feeling, and seeing people I know as well as the person I have been, I am, and I hope to be.

Sometimes I have these introspective experiences. Other times I just say "cool trees, look at these spikey stick-out thingees." Sometimes I want to think about things like meaning and purpose. Other times I want to just pick the wild sage, rub it between my fingers, and enjoy the aroma. It's all good.

Sometimes my life is so full of the every-day that I am conflicted. I'd love to reflect on the profound but I'm distracted by the urgent. I'm overwhelmed and feel a sense of expediency. I prioritize, making the "best" use of scare time and resources. In these moments, I am practical and I "put first things first."

Here is a photo I call "Mentor." I see the multifaceted, tall, strong Joshua Tree and the small little fellow next to it. I feel this urge to say to the younger, "I hope you know how lucky you are," "Never forget these days," and "Don't ever take this season of life for granted." I want to tell him what a privilege it is to sit at the feet of the wise elder. I want her to know that this sort of opportunity is rare. I want the older to feel appreciated. But I also want to say to the elder, "Be kind," "Remember that you were once young like she is now," and "Let him be the unique person he was intended to be." I want the younger to feel appreciated.


Above is a series I call "Perspective." These photos demonstrate how the angle makes a difference. If I'm looking at an entire tree (or person... situation... plan...) I see different things than when I'm looking at a small piece of the picture. This reminds me to be slow to pass judgment, to realize that there are other points of view, and to appreciate how valuable a group perspective can be.

And........ it makes me grateful for the people in my life who are slow to pass judgment, for those who realize that I might have a different point of view, and for others who appreciate my contribution to a group perspective.

Next, "It Is Finished" are a couple of photos I took of a Joshua Tree that was "shedding" the unnecessary. I suppose it caught my eye because I wonder just how expendable I really am. I'm certain that the answer is ..... "quite." God is certainly glad to have me on board but make no mistake, He is God. He can accomplish his purposes with or without me. That's ok. I am part of His big picture. I don't need to BE the big picture.

 

 
There are more pictures and more stories from my trip but here's the main thing....... when was the last time you looked at Joshua Tree Equivalents and considered something beyond the cool sharp spikey thingees? Do it again soon.

Carpe the Diem,
Rebecca

2 comments:

  1. I love when I'm allowed introspective moments. I need to do them more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thingees, Mentor, Perspective, It is finished.....sounds like the passages of life--
    Toddler, Strong one, Midlife, Lying down...either at a table prepared by my Shepherd in the presence of my enemy or in green pastures where I am restored...walking through the valley of the shadow--where I am supposed to fear no evil. Thanks for the beauty and for contributing to our group perspective--I appreciate.

    ReplyDelete