Saturday, July 17, 2010

Carpe the Diem

Carpe the Diem ~ Seize the Day ..... I'm drawn to this idea mostly because I wish that I did it more. It's a kick-in-the-pants reminder to myself about not procrastinating so much - especially when it comes to things I actually care about. And so, I begin today, carpe-ing one of my diems.

I sometimes have an inkling of a thought that I want to explore. I want to think about it, write about it, dialogue about it, re-work it, and sometimes discard it. It is this process that I am drawn to. I don't always care about the outcome. And so, in this venue, I'll write and look forward to some dialogue. That is the first reason I am here.

My other reason is this - I'd love to think that are others out there who will take the bait and begin to carpe their own diems. You might not give a rip about writing, or taking rabbit trails of the mind through murky philosophical paths that have no possibility for resolution. That might drive you nuts as much as it energizes me. That's fine.

But maybe there is some other pursuit you've been procrastinating. What do you want to "seize"? Tell me about it. Maybe you will  help my effort to motivate others to do the same. I'm just looking for some evidence that I, and others, can manage to think just a bit outside of our wakeup-gotowork-comehome-watchtv selves - just once in a while.

Then, who knows what will happen - if we all manage to reach just a bit beyond ourselves - just now and then..... I mean... I mean (to edit and mis-quote a famous philosopher out of context).... "if just one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick..... And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think..... And if three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people....they may think it's an organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, I said fifty people a day (carpe-ing their diems)... friends, friends, they may think it's a movement!"


2 comments:

  1. Becca,
    Excellent post! I have had some major changes in my life the past few years. I've even wondered if maybe I need to just relax, let it go...but giving up on what I am passionate about has not been possible for me to do. If we don't have something that gets us up in the morning or keeps us up at night then what's the point?

    I liked what Mark Batterson said in Wild Goose Chase, "We need to quit living as if the purpose of life is to arrive safely at death." I repeat with vigor something else Mark said, "I am determined to pursue God-ordained passions until the day I die. Life is too short to settle for anything less." ~Linda Cozadd

    ReplyDelete
  2. carpe diem indeed...I wonder routinely where the time has gone.

    ReplyDelete